This project was a real challenge carried out over a number of months. We undertook the carpentry and a number of general building packages in the renovation of this 16th century cottage working alongside English Heritage holding the historical value of this property. Being an old oak framed building the carpentry work undertaken here covered a majority of the renovation.
Due to the removal of a structurally unsound internal wall we had to rebuild a new one using new timber.
At the start of the renovation we had to lose the old rotten floor boards and replace with nice new ones. We overboarded all of the new floor boards with ply to give extra strength.
One room was particularly difficult as the existing joists were sagging and out of level meaning that we had to add new joists and floor boards in order to give the plumber a nice flat level base to fit his bathroom in. It also posed a problem with its old out of square, out of level walls. We added studwork to create a square level shower enclosure and concealed cisterne toilet.
Certain jobs on this project had to be completed in such a way that English Heritage would accept the fact that we have replaced old listed artifacts in a like for like manner with new ones. This panelling around an archway was bespoke made by one of our very talented carpenters using specialised router bits to recreate the existing mould.
A new bespoke made kiteturn staircase fitted into one of the properties.
The original roof rafters had to remain in place (unless they were structurally unsafe) but we had to remove the existing ridge and replace with new to get our new rafters in. We had to replace the existing valley with new which was over a foot out of line with the roof!!! We also had to form a new box gutter/gulley to be finished with leadwork. We had to add new purlins over the existing and bolt them together to strengthen what was already there.
The original water pump was wrecked but was rebuilt to its old self using new materials and a lot of guess work.
There was also a timber framed bin store that we built from scratch with no plans to suit (as best as possible) the surrounding property. We built ledge and braced doors and cladded with shiplap which was then finished with an oak stain.